Sales Manager Position
Sales Manager - Alexander Chemical
Reports to: President
Date Revised: November, 2021
- Responsible for managing all aspects of Alexander Chemical market, down to a gross margin level. This includes but is not limited to:
- Taking a leadership role in the annual budget process.
- Developing a sales operational plan to meet the budgeted growth goals.
- Development of a rolling five-year business strategy and action plan to achieve growth.
- Management of products and market development efforts to achieve growth.
- Complete monthly reviews with Account Managers to ensure goals are being met.
- Identify growth opportunities to increase revenues and margin; develop specific channels to market strategies to meet customer needs while securing strategic partnerships to grow the business.
- Develop and implement strategies for market to maintain or exceed budgeted growth strategies and meet or exceed profitability goals as defined in the annual budget and five-year plan.
- Provides annual business plans and executes the action items it specifies while realizing the growth requirements of the company as defined in the annual budget process.
- Lead the business development efforts to provide market driven products and services that meet customer and market needs.
- Plans and directs staffing, training, and performance evaluations for the sales department to develop and control sales and service programs.
- Monitor’s customer preferences to determine focus of sales team efforts.
- Advises customers on types of and purchase needs.
- Determines price schedules and discount rates with President approval.
- Reviews operational records and reports to project sales and determine profitability.
- Backup for the Business Manager with procurement related functions.
- Prepares and manages the annual sales budget for the entire product line in the region including marketing, products, equipment, and technical service needs.
- Keeps current a long-term strategic plan for the market and achieves the milestones and metrics as outlined in the plan.
- Provides leadership to the Sales team, to include developing, coaching, and training the sales team, and to the rest of the organization through clear communication of the strategies and action plans of the Sales team and setting metrics that ensure achievement.
- Communicates with the President regarding the annual growth revenue and gross margin budget and works together to create sales targets, action plans, metrics, and resources necessary to achieve the revenue and margin goal.
- Ensures the web-based strategy is appropriately designed to meet the needs of the market.
- Ensures maintenance of CRM in ERP system is being completed.
- Confirms all printed literature for the market, is current and in line with the action and marketing plans.
- Completes and submits all assigned activities, including call reports and expense reports in a timely fashion as required by management.
- Maintains a standard of knowledge of company policies and procedures that support EHSS, etc. safety initiatives in all aspects of the position.
- Creates and assigns developmental projects for members of the Sales team.
- Builds collaboration between different departments and ensures timely and accurate communication is relayed to all staff.
- Perform other duties as assigned or requested.
- Bachelor level college degree in business or chemical discipline is required or a minimum of 5 years’ experience in technical sales.
- 5+ years’ experience in the chemical industry is preferred.
- 10+ years’ of sales management experience is preferred.
- Strong knowledge of products, markets and applications is required.
- Demonstrations of previous personal and team sales growth experience.
- Travel of 25-50% of the time is expected.
- Excellent communication skills (both verbal and written) with the ability to communicate sound ideas and solutions intelligently to all facets of a customer organization with a strong strategic planning background.
- Changes in technology, applications and sales trends require the individual to strive to maintain an up-to-date knowledge of current technology and strong business acumen.
- Position requires excellent selling, teamwork, negotiation, organizational, communication and computer skills.
- Individual must be a self-starter with a positive attitude.
- Excellent attention to detail and accuracy is very important in this role.
- Must work effectively in dynamic work environment.
- Strong knowledge and previous application of Microsoft Excel, Word, Power Point, and Adobe software.
- Knowledge and experience with Chempax or a similar industry specific ERP system is preferred.
- Extensive experience with an industry specific CRM is required.
- Must have sufficient mobility to access all areas of the plant site in support of project work. This will involve climbing/descending ladders and stairways. Must be able to legally operate a motor vehicle. Required to wear personal protective equipment in the plant environment, which may include an escape respirator. This position may require prolonged periods of sitting at a desk and working on a computer.
Alexander Chemical Corporation is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, age, genetic information, membership in an employee organization, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Alexander Chemical Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.